Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Downtime

Buenos Dias a todos! Good morning everyone!
I just had my first opportunity to sit down and read what others have already written about the weekend, and I'm glad that they've kept you up to date. I'll tell you a little bit about our free day yesterday. We were all told to sleep in and meet at Steve's apartment at 9 am, and then left for breakfast. We ate "Arepas" (sp?), which is kind of like a pita with eggs, ham, and things like that (and to my family, yes, I did eat a little egg).

We took the subway to the mall and that was quite an experience! We were all told to have a partner that we were not to loose track of no matter what, and let me tell you sometimes it was all you could do to stay right by that one person. The subway pulls to a stop and there's a whole mess of people trying to get on and off and you end up packed in like sardines.  Then when you get to your exit you grab hands and push your way to the door and hope you all get off. Which thankfully we did.
The mall was very interesting- four floors. The food court had places like McDonald's, Church's Chicken and a Cinnabun. We opted for Sushi. If we haven't mentioned the money system yet, the name of their bills is a long B word so it is often just shortened to B's. One U.S. dollar is worth about 8 B's, so it was interesting paying 48 B's for lunch. While we were eating I saw a poster advertising the mall that said on the bottom, in spanish, follow us on Twitter. I had to get a picture.
So we did some shopping at the mall, and then came back to Steve's apartment. Then we went to a store across town that has more souvenir type stuff. We had pizza for dinner and our friend Isaac pointed to a lizard up by a light (we were eating outside) and told me that's what he ordered on his pizza. Then when the waitress returned he told me that he asked her to put it on mine as well. They have quite the sense of humor down here and have been making us laugh so much.
Well, we are about to leave for our work day (we'll be painting and I'm not sure what else) so I have to close this. God bless you all, we love and miss you!

-Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment